U.S. Conference on Poverty and Basic Needs
Since its first national gathering held in Washington, DC in 2012, the National Diaper Bank Network (NDBN) has brought together advocates and community leaders from the nation’s basic needs banks for an annual multi-day, in-person conference. In 2018 the focus expanded to include the Alliance for Period Supplies and its efforts to end period poverty in the U.S.
Due to ongoing health concerns related to the COVID-19 pandemic, the 9th annual conference was held virtually as the U.S. Conference on Poverty and Basic Needs in October 2020. A review of the 2020 conference schedule is available here.
The 10th national conference is being planned as a combination in-person and virtual event to be held in Orlando October 20 - 22, 2021. Organizers will determine the safety of holding an in-person conference based upon the best available health information available. The decision is expected to be made in June 2021.
The focus on poverty and basic needs offers the opportunity for leaders of diaper banks and period supply programs to meet together and share academic research, participate in educational workshops, and gain inspiration from nationally recognized keynote speakers in a format applicable to both nonprofit models. The format builds upon the professionalism and offers the benefits that attendees have come to expect from NDBN-led programs.
For each day, the conference will have a distinct, yet complementary focus:
- Day 1 – Wednesday, October 20, 2021
- Issues related to ending period poverty in the U.S., including new research, policy and advocacy efforts, and program development for new and ongoing period distribution programs.
- Day 2 – Thursday, October 21, 2021
- Anti-poverty work and the role that basic needs banks play in ensuring that individuals, children and families have access to the basic necessities they require to thrive and reach their full potential. Workshops address governance and leadership, operations and logistics for basic needs banks, as well as fundraising and financial matters, and advocacy and outreach.
- Day 3 – Friday, October 22, 2021
- Issues related to ending diaper need, with discussions ranging from diaper need assessment and establishing a new program, to measuring the impact of diaper banks on the communities they serve and how to leverage greater support for addressing unmet diaper need.